11.04.2013

DAY 156: SKYKOMISH via THE DINSMORE'S


miles: 0

[NOTE: it's been a really long time since I've updated, I know, I know. Now begins the final posts, stay tuned ya'll]

Where were we.... OH - Seattle.

Dread.

As I sat looking out the window of the multi-story apartment building where we were staying, over the hills of Seattle, I was overwhelmed with dread. The clouds were rolling in, cloaking everything in a thick, white, cold haze. I could only imagine how much more extreme the colors, temperatures, weather systems, were out east in the mountains, our final destination today. Later that morning we would be shuttled out to Baring, Washington and dropped off, sent out into the cold, once again.

I wasn't ready for cold. I don't think I'll ever be ready for cold again.

Justin and Sarah made breakfast and coffee and we all ate in the warmth of their home, still a luxury to me. Feeling so grateful, spending time with an exuberant canine, in the coziness of a real home... I tried not to think about the freezing temperatures that awaited us.

After breakfast, Ben and I packed up our belongings and got in the car.

**JUSTIN & SARAH: We are forever thankful for the ride to the mountains! YOU SAVED US. Come to Portland soon you two! **

As we left Seattle, the weather got more and more dreary and ominous and in no time we found ourselves standing in the driveway of trail angels Jerry and Andrea Dinsmore of Baring, Washington. We said goodbye to our city friends and thanked them for the ride, and hurried inside, as it was raining sideways.

The goal was to say hi to people, figure out a plan, and convene with Smiles and Dr. Slosh at the Dinsmore's and then hop over to Skykomish for a restful nights sleep and an early start to the trail - Section K, here we come.

While we were waiting for Smiles and Dr. Slosh to arrive at the Dinsmore's, Ben got busy and mended/altered our ponchos, making snips, adding sleeves, and making them EXTREME PONCHOS.

Ben testing out the new sleeves. 

Ben posing for a glamour shot in his new sleeved poncho success. 

Lots of games were played.

I got sleeves too.

The sleeves would encompass the whole hand.

Milling about.

Scrabble happened.

While we waited around at the Dinsmore's we played a few games, weatherized our ponchos, and organized our gear. Once Smiles and Dr. Slosh arrived, we packed our things in a flurry and made our way to Skykomish, a few miles away. Hikers were arriving in hoards, wet, cold, and miserable, and we felt bad taking up a bed at the Dinsmore's, that we didn't need (we had come from Seattle, were dry, clean, and happy) so we decided it might be the right thing to do  - open up that bed for those who actually hiked in, in need of the services they provided there. So we got a room in Skykomish, as did Smiles and Dr. Slosh (hotel neighbors!) and were thrilled to see so many hiker faces there as well! We reconnected with Belgian Red, Scout (formerly known as Rafiki) and others... and I'm a sucker for a clean, quiet place to hide. No matter how far into debt I go.... The privacy is worth the world to me.

Who knew I'd love hotel rooms so much on the trail, that I'd go into debt booking them? I didn't even care. DIDN'T. EVEN. CARE.

The folks who run the Cascadia Inn are the most welcoming people. (THANK YOU AGAIN JERRY FOR THE RIDE TO SKYKOMISH!) We were pleased to find this place was the cleanest, cutest, coziest place ever, and it was affordable too.

Baring, WA

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Still reading! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for sticking with me Kathe!

I'm almost ready to update the rest of the blog!

- THYRA