3.31.2013

FOOD TALK 2

what i wish i'd be eating every morning

3 weeks to go and so many chores left.  As I sit, gazing upon my food mountain, I am filled with complete bewilderment.  I haven't even started putting together my food boxes.  The food I've collected is still sitting in the middle of the floor.  I fill my time with distractions, happy hours, shopping (for gear), spending more money on MORE food (I do not need more food), hopping over the food pile, worrying about my physical state, finding other tasks to complete and basically... procrastinating.

I've come to the conclusion that I have acquired too much food, which should be a good thing, but most of it is stuff I already feel sick of...  For instance:

FD&C Yellow #5 and #6

These are the ingredients in Idahoan Potatoes.  I'm just not sure...how these foods are going to make me feel.  I know that, as hiking athletes, we need to a) stay well nourished b) get enough calories c) stay healthy d) GET ENOUGH CALORIES.  I am not used to regularly eating foods with such extensive ingredients lists.  As I've mentioned before, I try very hard to nourish my body with whole (real) foods.  I am both excited and revolted by the food I am about to be eating.  Mostly - it is going to be a blast  to create new and diverse menu items out of gas station snack selections....


A very bad recipe
Just check out this recipe for "CHEESY HOT POTATO SALAD"... Just add sugar, salt, BACON, flour and RAW onion to the steaming hot pile of mashed potatoes and - potato salad! Nothing. Sounds. Worse.

There are 2 methods of food resupply that a thru-hiker can choose (you can combine the 2 methods as well) ...

1. MAIL yourself food boxes along the way

This is a great method for people who choose to dehydrate their own food, have restrictive diets, are extremely organized, are picky eaters, and people who simply don't want to deal with the hassle of going into town and shopping and packing and shipping.  This can be an expensive method because you have to pay for postage and food boxes can be heeeavvvvvyyyy.

2. BUY food as you go

This is fabulous for those of us who want nothing to do with shopping for 6 months worth of food all at once.  Simply get into town, go to the store, shop, pack your food bag and hit the trail.  In terms of variety, this is a great method because you will always be able to buy what you are craving that day. You never know what you will start to love/hate/crave out on the trail.  Tastes and preferences will change and you will have absolutely no idea what foods you will want 3 or 6 months from now.  Buying as you go allows you the freedom to switch it up! If you pack all of your food ahead of time, you may not like what you sent yourself and ultimately ditch it in town. Obviously, this is a gigantic waste of money, time and energy.


Since we've opted for a "buy as we go" food strategy, we only have to plan so many (4) food boxes ahead of time.  Thank God.  So technically, we are doing a "hybrid" resupply approach because we are both shopping ahead of time AND getting food along the way.

Thru-hikers need to consume an unbelievably large amount of calories.   I don't even know how this is going to be possible for me considering I don't eat meat or meat products.  Lots of: olive oil, coconut junk, butter, (butter buds), and nuts/nut butter I guess? I'll probably wind up looking fairly emaciated.


Hiking for 10-12 hours a day.....5-7 days a week... for 6 months straight.  Today is the day I actually PACK my first food boxes.  Will post shortly on what this process looks like.

2 comments:

Jaunting Jan said...

I too eat simple vege meals during my normal life and quickly found dehydrating my own was the way to go when on the trail. It's not really any more work than shopping. I just make a big batch of pasta sauce, throw it in the dehydrator and add ramen noodles or couscous or . . . I do the same with chili, substituting Tofu for meat. I don't worry about anything except for my main meal, as far as dehydrating. I can live with bars, etc. for snacks and lunches, and I always bring hardy hot breakfast options. Good luck with getting those boxes put together. Maybe you can talk a friend or relative into being your resupplier? They can ship you some fun options along the way???

Unknown said...

JabberJan - Thanks! We have definitely talked a few folks into being a resuppliers... looking forward to new/diverse menu options. We were totally going to dehydrate prior to leaving but time got away from us and it "seemed" more arduous to dehydrate ahead of time so we decided to just shop instead and hope for some o.k. options. I am also going with hardy hot breakfast options, snacks for lunch and the dehydrated whatever for dinner (I just wish I had been the one to dehydrate it)... but store bought cous cous will have to do!