4.01.2013

FOOTWEAR & BIRTHDAY WEEKENDS


The 4 pairs of brooks I will be wearing (hopefully I wont need a 5th pair but we'll see)
I would like to spend a moment on footwear.

When most people think of hiking and proper footwear, they automatically think of sturdy hiking boots.  Many of us own hiking boots and have grown up believing in the school of thought, "hiking? must wear sturdy, waterproof, heavy duty boots that support your ankles". I always assumed I had to wear boots when going on a hike  Once I began researching and planning for the PCT I realized how little I knew about the topic. First of all - hikers go through multiple pairs of shoes. I'm talking 3-6 pairs. Secondly - It is becoming more and more common for thru-hikers to wear cross-trainers or simple running shoes on their journey.  Actually, I'd say the overwhelming majority of folks out there will be wearing cross-trainers/running shoes.  As backwards as it sounds, there are many reasons for this. 

1. Hiking boots are very stiff and restrictive. (blisters)
2. You actually do not want waterproof shoes when hiking long distance on the PCT.  This is because your feet are GOING to get wet. If you are wearing a leather/waterproof/intense material and water gets in - they will never ever dry out.  If you wear breathable shoes like cross-trainers they will dry quickly. 
3. They are just more comfortable.
4. Your feet can b-r-e-a-t-h.

I'm excited and proud to announce I will be wearing Brooks Cascadia's (6 & 7 models). They are insanely comfortable and have never given me a problem on any of my training trips.  The sweet 80's colors help too, even if they are the semi-gross type of 80's colors, not the cool ones. I am starting with the 4 pairs I already own (even though they are pretty worn in already) and will hopefully be fine with that amount but am prepared to purchase a brand new pair if I need to.

FOUND THESE POUCHES AT NEXT ADVENTURE - perfect.

This weekend was not very productive for me. The only thing I got accomplished was buying these little bags in the photo above. Angela, Ben and I went around to various stores on Saturday and took care of some errands but mostly I just dawdled and was hungry. While at Next Adventure I found these rad little bags for 99 cents! Perfect for attaching to our shoulders traps on our backpacks.  I'll be keeping all of my little ditties (including my phone) in these pouches so that I can reach them easily and keep track of them. 

So Saturday didn't pan out for me and looking back - I basically did absolutely nothing PCT related, which is terrifying. However, it was my "birthday weekend" so at some point I just made the executive decision to not stress about it and just have a good time. Birthday celebration, park times, frisbee, grass games, dog party, drinks. It's all I needed. There is nothing more that I love than a good spring outdoor park party on blankets with friends and I only have so much time left in Portland.

And I decided to take advantage of the uncharacteristically beautiful weather and INDULGE.

birthday weekend commences

just Lulu in a baseball cap






perfect end to a Sunday

1 comment:

joe3 said...

I linked from Carrots email, and enjoyed reading about your prep. When I got to the pic with the fellow in the IN n OUT shirt my face lit up .... I MISS THOSE !!
It'll be interesting to follow your trip, I'm envious also;-)
Joe3 in St. Pete, FL.