8.07.2013

DAY 97: WHAT IT'S LIKE TO CLIMB 5,000 FEET IN THE HEAT


miles: 27 (including the 5,000 foot climb)

It has been hot. HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT. This morning we decided to wake up early and try to attack the upcoming climb with fervor. Brenda Braaten offered to take us to the trailhead by 6:00am, which was perfect. We were antsy and eager to make some big miles.

Look at this fresh and clean boy!

There were some nice bridges.


The view as the climb out of Belden began...

This was not the most attractive section.

Belden.

Burnt, exposed, poison oak everywhere, tall.

LASSEN!




Let the climbing begin.

greenery.

Cairns guide us everywhere we go. This looks like it is usually a rushing river.

Couldn't believe my eyes.
 As we climbed (and climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed) the clouds began to form, making me uneasy. Ben and I climbed at our own paces today and I was surprisingly ahead of him. He was NOT feeling it today but I was pumped - the climb wasn't that big of a deal, actually.

A lot of people DREAD this climb, and yes, it is a HUGE one, but I didn't find it all that difficult. The thing is - you never know when you are going to have a good day or when you are going to have a difficult day. Every day is different depending on the calories you've consumed (that day and the night before), the sleep you had, the mood you are in, the temperature outside, the weather, etc. I was having a particularly good day and was feeling strong so I sped up that hill in no time at all.

Lunch was at a nice spring, but this was a day of yellow jackets (again). I got stung.

I am always on the look out for thunder clouds, and these became pretty threatening. 





lunch spot


Sometimes the PCT signs look like this. 


Following the Hiker Foot Print.


YUM

The beginnings of a thunderstorm.



The horse trough. This is actually really good water.

I like this bench.

???

Nice fence, yo.









Entering Lassen means it is starting to turn prettttttttty volcanic. 



A forest mess.

No comments: