4.01.2013

BOUNCE BOX?

yes, i will have a bounce box
In the "FAQ" section of my blog I have a description of what a "bounce box" is but basically - it is a box filled with goods that you repeatedly mail to yourself along the way so that you have access to certain items (things you don't think you'll be able to get in small towns) during the months you are homeless.  For example one might choose to put the following items in their drift/bounce box: 

first aid materials
duct tape
nail clippers
vitamins
herbs
camera chargers
extra batteries
map sections
lotion
soap
shampoo/conditioner
some people even bounce themselves a laptop computer (in order to upload photos & stuff)

Bounce boxes hold the things you don't want to/can't carry on the trail with you for whatever reason but want to have as soon as you hit town. 

Some people love having a bounce box and would not hike the trail without one, and others completely hate them and think they are a total hassle. I am using a bounce box for MANY reasons. I may be wrong, but I think I know myself well enough to know that I will absolutely adore my bounce box and come to rely on it (probably too much).


Priority Mail boxes are becoming ubiquitous around here...
I am going to start with a bounce box and see how it goes and I am open to the idea of ditching it all together when/if it becomes a pain the ass. I love the idea of having luxury bathing goods, expensive supplements, and refills of things I do not want to buy over and over and over and over in small towns at exorbitant prices.



My bounce box has: duct tape, rope, toothpaste, Emergen-C, first aid supply refills, bath stuff, epsom salts, hand sanitizer, soap, advil, lighters, vaseline, lotion, sewing kit, moleskin, TOWN CLOTHES, extra socks, sunscreen, anti-itch stuff, shampoo/conditioner, q-tips, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Maybe this is excessive? If it turns out I never want anything to do with these things - I can ditch 'em.

I'm most excited about the epsom salts.  When I get into town I am going to take a ziplock bag, get some hot water, fill it with epsom salts and give myself a luxurious foot bath and massage. This is going to be crucial for me. Taking care of my feet will be the priority.

Being well nourished is important to me (especially since I don't eat meat) and vitamins will be something I take daily. So, for example, I do not want to carry an entire bottle of vitamins so I will grab them out of my bounce box that I will have access to every 2 weeks or so.  We'll be sending our bounce box approximately 10 - 14 days ahead of ourselves (basically every other town stop) and we will refill our IBU/vitamins/first aid kits and wash our bodies and hair in town. I have also decided to regularly take Emergen-C "Joint Care" as a supplement.  It is both delicious and good for your joints and bones.

Another thing I'm keeping in my bounce box is a set of "town clothes" for when we get into town...  I know, this might seem frivolous but imagine this: You roll into town (filthy, smelling like cheese, tattered...) and you just want to take a shower and WASH YOUR CLOTHES (even if it's at a laundromat).  What do you do? What do you wear while your clothes are in the washer, since you only have 1 outfit...? If you put a pair of shorts and a t-shirt in your bounce box - you will have something clean to wear while your clothes are in the wash and you don't have to hide and be naked in a hotel room! The only other option people have when they are washing their hiking clothes is to layer in their rain gear in the (often) 100+ degree weather -- no thank you.

Also -- I'll be bouncing fresh/new socks to myself so that I always have the option of a new pair of socks.... you never know when your socks will get a hole or become too demolished for use.  I hear that the trail completely eats socks up and that I will go through TONS of socks (hint: if you ever want to send me socks - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DO SO) !!!!!!!

I'm curious as to what other people will be doing - will they be utilizing the bounce box? Will we all be sharing these things? What will I not need after mile 1,000? Very curious.


this is a full bounce box...

Meanwhile... Ben is organizing his food boxes (which I have yet to tackle...) and he is being very productive. This is when I decided to go to happy hour #6 on a Sunday and ditch the PCT homework. He moved to the back deck to take advantage of the gorgeous weather and went to town.  His boxes are officially looking fantastic and he is in good shape. This is the process that makes me weak at the knees... I think I need to just go at my own pace in regards to food. I have a long ways to go....


Very disciplined

Ben's food situation is improving and mine is not.

"Is this enough for 4 days?"........ (enough for 1 day)

UGH.

1 comment:

Carrot said...

Hi! I live in Portland, also about to hike the PCT. I found your blog via hikepress, and I'm blogging about PCT prep myself over at https://carrotquinn.wordpress.com/.

The bounce box thing is interesting- I'm using my resupply boxes to send myself some of what you have in your bounce box (vitamins, socks, etc) but the idea of a bounce box is still very intriguing. So much of my preparation for the trip is trying to push myself outside of my comfort zine- it'll be interesting to see how much I succeed.

Maybe I'll see you on the trail!

Best,
Carrot