4.29.2013

DAY 9: RODRIGUEZ

April 28.

We are, as of Sunday, camped at mile 73.5 on a ledge with a view of a desert valley.

My posts will be rudimentary for a while due to lack of service, plug-ins, phone charge, and energy.... it has been difficult to muster up the energy during the day to type on my phone.

Got a ride with Julie and Okie Girl back out to the Sunrise Trailhead at 9:00am. I can't get over the insane amount of kindness we have already received in the way of helpful trail angels, and generous strangers. At Kick Off yesterday a man came over to our campsite with a jug of chocolate milk and was offering us tall glasses of it. I couldn't believe it.

Met up with Carrot!! Finally. She left a day early from Kick Off in order to complete the section she didn't finish so that she could be right where we left off! It was perfect timing. We make a great team.

Still boiling hot outside, which means we will be night hiking tonight. We put in 6 miles off the bat, during the hottest part of the day and were DRAINED by the time lunch came around. So we lounged for a few hours in the single sliver of shade we could find. It was extremely uncomfortable, because it was a steep slant of sharp dried leaves, and I was enraged most of the afternoon because it had kept me from taking a proper nap.

The four of us hiked on once it got cooler, stopping at Rodriguez Spur Road to get water. A few other hikers were there gearing up for either night hiking, or sleeping.

Hiked on into the darkening evening, sun setting behind the gigantic desert mountains. It was surreal. I love night hiking, not only because it is twenty times cooler, but because it is jaw-droppingly beautiful. I regret not being able to see very much through this section of canyon traversing, but it was gorgeous by headlamp as well.

Came about 15 miles total today, better mileage than we have been doing, but still "slow" in terms of thru-hiker pace. We are hoping to catch up to some of our friends up ahead soon.

Slept out under the stars for the first time ever (Cowboy Camping) and LOVED it. All four of us laid out, tentless under the stars. I am surprised with myself and my lack of fear sleeping without the false security of my tent. The only complaint - THE MOON. Is is so bright - literally keeps you up at night.

My entries have become more of a play by play of the day, and less of what I want them to be... I am going to order a mini-portable keyboard (Carrot has one!) and things will get easier from there. Please go to Carrot, Ben and Angela's blogs in order to get a more eloquently written posts on the past few days - these 3 can really write!




















































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian-portland or----that's great you got some chocolate milk! I'm glad Carrot is hiking with you three. Sorry about the moon light. I guess it's like a big night light. Wear your sun glasses. Lol. Take care. Brian

Unknown said...

Thyra- what are those minimalist flip flops ben is wearing?