4.23.2013

DAY 3: TICKS



There have been a lot of tick sightings. None of us have had a tick yet, but we have come very close... Angela found one on her sleeve and another hiker we've been hiking with found one in his leg tonight. Ben has an eye for them and apparently can spot even the smallest tick on the brush we are walking through. We can't avoid the brush! It's pokey, stinging and tick infested and we all only have shorts so there isn't an option.

Today we woke up at 6:30am and started hiking before 8:00. It was easy hiking compared to the first few days. We made it 13 miles before we set up camp for the night at Burnt Rancheria Campground. We're taking it slow for a few days...

I am starting to get a blister on the ball of my left foot... It's under the callus and is quite painful, but I think with the duct tape job I've been doing, it will subside. I've been duct taping the bottom of my feet to reduce friction in general and it seems to be working. However, the tape gets sweaty and seals to my socks and leaves them torn up and gummy. I've already destroyed my first pair of socks and its been 3 days and they were $18.00! So....

My hands have never been more disgusting, but I refuse to eat with them, so hopefully I don't get sick.

Toes are doing great - thess injiji toe socks are WONDERFUL.

Need to remember to pack more snacks, I've been scarfing them down more rapidly than I had predicted.

We're realizing that the motto of this trip needs to be GO WITH THE FLOW. Because once you get your hopes up and expect something (like the promise of water or a shower at a campground) and you find out it isn't happening - it's devastating. We were counting on a hot shower, or at least a spigot, at the Burnt Rancheria Campground but once we arrived - we were told that there was a plumbing issue and the water had been shut off. Great. I had hiked in and had rationed my last liter of water so that I didn't have to carry more water weight on the climb up Mt. Laguna.... So I went to bed with no water. Ben had dumped his water out a few miles before because he also was counting on water at the campsite.... Luckily in the morning it's only 2 miles to Mt. Laguna Lodge!!!!



















4 comments:

lauren ashley said...

Should I mail you this roll of candy corn duct tape my mother sent me in October?

lauren ashley said...

That reminds me... there's a song called I'd Like to Check you for Ticks by radio-country singer, Brad Paisley. I hate it.

Anonymous said...

Brian Martinez-Portland,OR--You all are doing great. What an adventure. Great blog!!!! I hope you are enjoying California!!! Take care and be safe. Bye for now!

olenkattack said...

i can't even tell what's happening with that sock tape blob. do you have spare pairs with you? i went to my one day of banff today.... i wish i was going to the others. but this journey is far more interesting.