4.19.2013

SAN DIEGO





Wow. Uh.... Here we are.

The flight was painless - probably one of the best flights I've ever taken. We landed to gorgeous weather, immediately making me feel out of place in my long sleeves shirt, buff, and wool attire. Upon landing, we exited the airport and bee-lined for the area we were to be picked up.... And who is there right outside? Two other hikers (immediately identifiable by their packs and appearance) waiting to be picked up as well! The instantaneous feeling of community, friends we just hadn't met yet.

We arrived at the home of Scout & Frodo and were blown away by their hospitality!!!! And that is an understatement. Their entire house is opened up for hikers, providing food, snacks, pillows, blankets, towels, charging stations, mailing stations - EVERYTHING. Literally. Every drawer and cupboard is labeled and accessible. True generosity.

Thrilled to find out we were assigned the pop up trailer outside, we moved in and immediately got to exploding our backpacks. STILL - last minute packing, taping, labeling, sorting.... I am already sick of zipping and unzipping plastic baggies.

Dinner was a BBQ and wow - was it nice to sit down after so many sleepless nights and drink a beer and feel "we're here. We've made it. Half the work is done. The planning and fretting is over. Now it's just time to walk it." Also - so many other hikers housed here and we are all headin to the trailhead tomorrow.

All I could think about on the plane ride was: this 2 hour plane ride south is going to take us 4-5 months to walk back up.





HUGE thank you to Scout and Frodo for hosting is at their beautiful home! The trip couldn't have had a better start!









4:30am wake up - I am wired! Will I ever sleep again?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so excited for you guys and can't wait to follow your journey. I am kind of envious and would love to pack my backpack right now - long distance hiking is just something else!
Have fund and enjoy those coming months!
Fine

Nichole Alvarado said...

I'm so happy your flight was G! That house looks incredible. You're walking right now... I. Just. Can't. Even.

carrot said...

You're walking today! I'm in LA, just off my own no-sleep flight, and start tomorrow! WE'RE HERE! The hiking is really starting! WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN?!!

olenkattack said...

GUHghLidk! i am glad the beginnings were smooth. last minute peanut m&m sorting. ummm... san diego looks nice. i will dream of the desert tonight.

Anonymous said...

Good luck. It's great how Scout and Frodo opened their house to the hikers! Have a safe journey! This is Brian Martinez-Portland, OR

SF said...

I hope you are having the time of your life. Keep updating for the people at home.

Anonymous said...

Brian Martinez-Portland, OR----I hope your 1st day of hiking yesterday went well. Happy trails or Happy trail! I wonder how many miles you all hiked yesterday.