5.07.2013

DAY 17: IDYLLWILD ZERO DAY

miles: ZERO. none.

Much needed day off in Idyllwild.

I am a huge sleeping-in fan but I woke at 6:30am this morning, naturally. It has only taken 2 weeks for my circadian rhythm to level out and switch into sunrise/sunset mode. We go to sleep around 9:00/10:00pm and wake up at dawn (or Don, as we like to call him).

We are staying at the Idyllwild Inn, in a cabin among a cluster of cabins. The entire cabin area is packed full of thru-hikers, some rooms (secretly) housing up to 10 hikers at a time.

In our cabin it is just Ben, Angela, Carrot and I and it feels just right, I cannot imagine cramming even one more body in this space - our backpacks are exploded EVERYWHERE, it's small and quaint....

Ben and I started our day at Jan's Red Kettle, a breakfast joint down the street. It was bustling inside with other thru-hikers, and older local folk. I ate a pancake, a cinnamon roll about a foot in diameter, and hashbrowns.
Went down to the Post Office to pick up our bounce boxes, sign the PCT register, pick up our food box we sent to ourselves from Mt. Laguna... and what a Post Office!! They were so hiker friendly and helpful!

We spent the entire day doing chores, washing things, massaging feet, showering, eating, and resting. I got in and out of bed all day - it was amazing.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Thyra!
Great! Great! Great! love your (and Angela's) blogs. I travel the PCT
with the thr...four of you every day. I'm in a wheelchair so it's the only way I can hope to hike anymore. Please tell Angela (who evidently has 'comments' disabled) that her pic of the PCT wooden post-marker in the foreground against that incredible blue-sky is F***NG FABULOUS. Were I still publishing I'd buy the rights to it and make a post-card out of it in a heart-beat! HINT: if you mention a place or thing in your writing could you kindly have a piccy of each handy for us voyeurs who want to see what you saw that was noteable enough to write about...or not. :) (give Angela a and whisper in her ear; "mention the sponsors stuff that you got for free more often willya? so far I haven't seen mention of any of the goodies shown in the "food" tab. (okay this is a secret so you can delete this after reading -- heehee) I salivate at the thought of the remaining 170 daily posts to come...YUMMY STUFF! (lordie the preview shows this comment running off the margins at the right in the second line...yeeeesh! I hope it isn't so)

Anonymous said...

Hey You! You are so missed in Pdx, how has it been almost a month since your last work day? Does not seem possible. Your blog is so great, all of us eagerly await your next post! I see "writer" in your future job search! BE SAFE and REST YOUR FEET :)
Miss Ya! Kristine

olenkattack said...

what do they sell at "its a mans world" ? where do the women shop in that town? is ben wearing a hibiscus leopard print blouse?

Anonymous said...

Brian----

Thyra, Ben, Angela, and Carrot,

Have a safe and fun hike!

Brian