5.26.2013

DAY 33: KOA OASIS


miles: 20

Broke down camp at Big Buck Camp, careful not to make contact with the poodlefuck. 


Ben eating granola and milk in bed.


The hiking was stunning, as usual, as we wove in and out of burn areas. I don't care how much people hate the burnt forest. I love it.



We hadn't anticipated the official (optional) poodledog detour. Ben and I took one look at each other and said, "we're taking the detour, no thank you." Avoiding the bush is so mentally taxing and induces rage. We opted out - after last nights dance in the tall grass where we couldn't see whether or not there were sneaker poodledogs. We simply had I have faith that we weren't rubbing up on the stuff. 




The rolling landscape, dappled shrubbery.


We pushed hard to GET TO the KOA. It had been windy and a splendid temperature all day... But once we dipped down in elevation, even slightly, it got stupid hot. 

My hiking style is to go go go go go fast  fast fast fast, far. I would rather walk 15 miles straight than to stop and lounge, because when I stop, I don't want to get going again. This means I often walk ahead of the others and fly. Then I wait for them at the designated stopping point. This is a new thing. 

About 3 miles out, I began to over heat. I sat down in the wee bit of shade available, along with another hiker, Hitch. Only 3 more miles. 

Only 3 more miles. 

Ben and I sped onward toward the KOA, Angela and Carrot were just a few miles behind, having lunch at the ranger station. 

THE KOA. Ben and I approached with caution - it seemed like a wasteland. My first thought? We're not staying here. But as we got closer and found the store... We gleefully bounded inside and bought everything. 

Next - we spent 2 hours in the hot tub (along with 7 other hikers) and took turns diving into the pool.

It was pure. Heaven. Seriously.

Angela and Carrot made it!!!!! They did, like, a 25 mile day to get here, very impressive. 

We had a blast hanging out in our hiker field, where KOA banishes thru-hikers, next to the train tracks.



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just sounds insanely exciting! Your blog/journal just has something others don't. So I thank you for writing in the detail and style that you do. Can't say how much it makes me wish I were on the pct thru-hiking myself.

lauren ashley said...

I can't wait to go out Poodle dancing with you upon your return!

Good job babies!

Impecunious said...

I don't think it's possible to experience the incredible highs you discover without the incredible lows experienced beforehand. This is why one does the PCT through hike...