5.18.2013

DAY 25: DEEP CREEK AND A VERY BAD INSOLE SITUATION


miles: 23

DISCLAIMER - I am estimating the miles we do each day and apologize if it is not precise enough for everyone. I am keeping track of what miles we camp at, and how many (exactly) we are doing each day and do intend on updating the blog at some point to reflect our actual progress each day. It just very hard to have that info on hand when I find myself blogging.

Today was amazing AND brutal all in one. It's funny, there are a lot of high and low points on the trail, in particular EACH AND EVERY DAY. Every day there are intense highs and intense lows. Is this just me? Maybe. I am blown away at how much my mood fluctuates, and often, for no particular reason. The high's are extremely high and the lows are so very very low...

There were more highs than lows today, so it was an extremely good day.

Because there was.... SWIMMING. AND HOTSPRINGS.

The day started off well, but after a few hours, I felt like I was walking in quicksand, dragging my feet, losing steam, and having a hard time with the heat.




The three of us stopped and HAPPILY ate a snack by a stream with Smiles, Dr. Slosh, Brett and Ellie (who don't have trail names yet), Track Meat, Sagitar, Spark, and Veggie. These last 4 characters are four boys who seem to be a sort of team out here, and it is nice to meet new hikers.


I fell behind after the snack because I crashed and found myself wandering through the desert alone for hours. Initially, this made me anxious (I have never been in the back, I usually keep pace) but eventually I let it go. Plugged in to my iPod and listened to 3 Radiolabs and was in a zone (a slow zone) trying to stay positive about my slow pace and take advantage of it. I don't have to worry about anyone coming up behind me while I have headphones in, I can stop and take as many photos as I wanted, I could remain peacefully in a trance.







Three pine cones.


A water source.

Took a lot of photos (with the real camera) and was mesmerized by the landscape. We were back in a desert land resembling the Anza-Borrego Desert: large boulders, sand, lizards galore, hot hot hot sun...




I love listening to Radiolab. I have a feeling I will exhaust ALL EPISODES while I am out here.



Suddenly I spot the Deep Creek Bridge. I start walking faster and faster, hobbling because my feet have started hurting. So much pain today, why?

I hadn't known what to expect when I reached Deep Creek but I was pleasantly surprised when I found everyone there, waist deep in water, SWIMMING.





More Nutella and teddy Graham's.




This us what's happening to my gel insoles... Demolished.

AS ALWAYS - IMMEDIATELY STRIP DOWN, GET IN WATER, COOL OFF, RUB FEET, LAY DOWN. We were all in heaven. Basically every hiker in the area that day was congregated there at the swimming hole, the magical, magical swimming hole.



After swimming, we trudged on, towards Deep Creek Hotsprings (a very loose goal). Ben and I were both in a lot of pain so we began searching for the nearest campsite as soon as possible. There was one problem: we were traversing a very steep cliff, so there were no acceptable locations to lay down at all. We were hiking with Sour Cream, and this is when we decided to try to make it all the way to Deep Creek Hotsprings - FOR SURE.


There is a "no camping" rule within a one mile radius of Deep Creek Hotsprings, but we thought we would disregard this warning and camp there anyway. "We'll feel it out" we said.

These hotsprings have very negative reviews: dirty, tons of naked old men, filth and garbage everywhere, loud party scene, crowded, unappealing.... the list goes on.

When we arrived, we were initially turned off by the dirty toilet paper, trash bags, used feminine products, and grosseness in the area along the trail leading up to the hotsprings, but once we got down to them - there was basically NO ONE to be found. It was a Tuesday, so this meant a quiet night. All of our fellow hikers were getting dressed and packing up after their soak and highly recommended getting in! We were shocked... and very skeptical. Sour Cream, Ben and I cautiously approached the springs and were pleased to find that they were AMAZING. Desolate, sunset, solitary hotsprings (also - not dirty in and around the actually hotspring).

I must say - we enjoyed every second of our Deep Creek Hotspring experience, it was pure magic. The soak was just what our weary joints needed. Also - it was Sour Cream's first hotsprings experience!

I didn't take any photos of the hotsprings with my phone but I got some with my real camera. I will post them later!

There were a few locals, with their dog "Queen Queen" - the best dog in the world.

After our soak, we cowboy camped (illegally I presume) on the shores of Deep Creek on a sandy beach. GREAT END TO THE DAY.

2 comments:

lauren ashley said...

RENNAGADES!

Impecunious said...

I know I'm behind here, but you need to order some real hiking shoes pronto lady!! Call REI at the next stop and get good hiking shoes..

Bill