5.09.2013

DAY 18: IDYLLWILD TO FROZEN CAMP

Miles: 5.5 


Idyllwild all morning... 2.5 miles back up Devils Slide Trail to where we left off... 3 miles to our camp for the night. 


Had a relaxing morning in Idyllwild: slept in, didn't want to get up, finished chores, went to coffee shop to use the computer,  drank lots if coffee, watched it rain outside, and took an Epsom salt foot bath in the sink. 


Idyllwild reminded me of Portland for some reason. Maybe it was because it was pouring, wet, and drizzly the entire time we were in town? Maybe because of the forest? The low clouds?





We really dodged a bullet with that one. Perfect day for a zero day. We came down from the mountains just in time for a huge storm to roll in and dust a little snow and bring some rain. Not only were we lucky to miss the precipitation, but we  had a rainy backdrop to our cozy cabin times, making our fire (in our fireplace) last night extra warm and inviting. Idyllwild Inn even provides a bin of free firewood!! 

I finally wrestled myself out of bed at 9:00am (so late these days!) and braved the pour down in order to get to the coffee shop. Spent some time there and had DECAF (why?) while I fretted over the weather situation. 

I really don't like hiking in the rain, and I especially don't like unpredictable weather. 

There was a lot of talk about the potentially troublesome weather conditions, lots of "alarmists", and lots of hikers staying yet another night in town to wait out the storm. We were antsy to hike and get at least SOME miles in...

Ate our last pizza, finished chores, and finally left town at 3:00pm. Dave (the trail angel who brought us into town) kindly brought us back out to the trailhead! He even handed us each a roll of lifesavers in the car. 

Devils Slide Trail. The 2.5 side trail leading into the San Jacinto Wilderness Area. Quite the elevation gain, but a nicely maintained trail. We had been dreading the uphill back to the trail, but it wasn't bad at all! The descent was infinitely worse. Remember, the wincing?
 














We got back up to saddle junction, and were back on the PCT. Snow patches. Fog. Freezing temps. It was gorgeous, but an unbearable temperature. We went in and out of fog, and at one point, we rounded a corner (above 8,000 feet mind you) and Angela screams, "we're in an airplane!" And I saw for myself: we were above the clouds, at sunset. I'm not sure I've ever seen a view like this... 



I got goosebumps. 








8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian----

Hey Thyra,

Above 8,000 feet! Wow! That's amazing!

What a feeling that must have been for your four!

Brian

Anonymous said...

Brian---

Opps! You not your in last post comment!

Brian

bayrider said...

That experience will never leave you, awesome!

Dave

Unknown said...

Totally amazing, I feel like I am hiking with you feeling the heat! The pain and the smell of the dessert in your writing. You are doing very well. Your sprit and energy will take far.

Anonymous said...

Jose wrote:

the absolute *BEST* pictures! Those mist-shrouded trees are positively mist-ical (pardone le pun) Keep on tracki...er, treking! Your posts bouy my spirits and I eagerly look forward to them with my morning beverage.

Unknown said...

Thyra- this is amazing! you have a real talent to convey the spirit of your trip in words. Im so proud of you and Ben and Angela! Im a firm believer that "the people" make the trip: the people you're with, the people you meet and the people you miss Stay strong!
-Nate

Jusscowa said...

This is my new favorite part of your journey so far! Great pics! Keep on trekkin'! I'm going to send those pretzels soon. I want to get some more goodies first... Worst case scenario they'll be here in Ashland when you get here in August!

Jusscowa said...

That was me, Justin, by the way!