6.18.2013

DAY 50: I DO LOVE A PORCH

Hiker legs. 
miles: 0

I love sitting on porches.

More legs. 
Chik Chak and Starfox arrived on Saturday early afternoon. I had woken early and sauntered down to the porch first thing in the morning. Porch festivities - consuming coffees, muffins, bagels, chips, pastries, and chit chatting and catching up with other hikers, some of whom I hadn't seen since the beginning back in April. I like nothing more than to sit and observe. This is why I love coffee shops so much in Portland. I miss being able to just sit and sip and watch. I'm beginning to think it is one of my favorite pass times...

Chik Chak and Manchurian on the porch. Reunited 
Nail Painting happened.
Viking getting ready to leave with 14 days worth of food, his bear canister and a very, very heavy pack, I am sure.

General Store.


Today was a day of chores. Ben and I had a lot to do in terms of organizing our resupply boxes, using things from our bounce boxes, and re-packaging everything. We also had to send things back out and K.M. doesn't have an official P.O. so the employees of the store must deal with all of the hiker traffic and P.O. needs as well as run the register. It was sort of a zoo... I really felt bad for the people working there, having to cater to 50 thru-hikers at once while also serving the locals. It was mayhem, to say the least.

What our bear canisters look like!
Everyone is required to carry a bear canister at some point once they have entered the Sierras so most hikers carry one that looks like this. It is bear proof, so they cannot open it. This also means I cannot open it. I think it will take much practice... and I haven't had success yet. Crossing my fingers I'll be able to do it.

All of our food must fit in this thing, which is near impossible. Actually, most hikers had food that was overflowing and we entered the next section knowing we had to eat eat eat most of our food in the beginning in order to get everything to fit (or we would be required to sleep in designated camp sites that have metal bear boxes, which some hikers do).

Mr. Green and Wagon Wheel

Manchurian, me, Smiles and Chik Chak
Ben taking a nap naps.


No comments: