6.22.2013

DAY 54: DIAZ CREEK ---> ROCK CREEK

perfect sand.
miles: about 20

Left Diaz Creek at 6:00am and began hiking in the pristine sand. For some reason, this area is incredibly flat (seeming). We have not done a whole lot of climbing, but a lot of rolling hills and flatness. A pleasant surprise.

I had limited camera use today so I didn't get to capture as much as I would have liked.

It was a great day of hiking...

The pristine Chicken Spring Lake was coming up just past the Cottonwood Pass junction. Deer were (literally) frolicking in the meadows.

I find this soft sand very captivating... perhaps the photo doesn't do it justice.
The underside of a tree that fell over!
View of the valley on our way up toward Cottonwood Pass.
First glimpse of Mt. Whitney/surrounding high peaks. 

THESE TREES.
We got our first glimpses of the true high Sierras today and it was overwhelming. I'm nervous, to say the least.

Had lunch at Chicken Spring Lake after only 6 miles of hiking - what a luxury! I will post photos of Chicken Spring Lake in the next post... it was the most gorgeous place I've been, ever.

We napped, some of us swam, we took in the clouds, which were moving faster than I have ever seen clouds move before. Is it because we are at 11,000 feet? Do clouds get closer? And faster as they are closer?

Our goal tonight is to make it to Rock Creek... and we made it by dusk! However, my phone AND my camera died so I didn't get to capture any of the evenings festivities. We camped with Hoop Dreams and Mr. Green and even made our first FIRE! It was a really nice, campy, end to the night.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I really enjoy this blog. I did a 30 mile or so section just last week near Spanish Needles and cell phone coverage was zero. How do you upload all your blogs?

Jeff

Louisa said...

Hi Thyra,

Thank you so much for writing this blog. It has been a wealth of information for my friend and I who are attempting to thru-hike the PCT next year. We are firmly ensconced in the "preparation" phase of the trip (I'm sure you remember it well). We were just wondering how you and Ben are finding the Tarptent Double Rainbow? Would you recommend it? Is condensation too much of an issue?

We await you further adventures with anticipation!

E and L from Sydney, Australia