9.07.2013

DAY 113: ETNA


miles: 10.5

Best bed of the trail: Alderbrook Manor Bed & Breakfast. 

I had never stayed at a Bed & Breakfast before, and was blown away by how nice this one was. In the morning I was woken to the sound of a knock on the door, "breakfast is on the table."

OH MY GOD. 

Ben and I stumbled down the stairs and were greeted by one of the most beautiful sights: a table topped with quality breakfast, complete with never ending coffee and real cream. Manchurian had somehow weaseled his way into a seat at the breakfast table despite not having paid for a room himself so we were surprised to see him sitting there. Fireball, another hiker we have been leapfrogging with recently was also at breakfast. He had stayed a night there as well. So the four of us were treated to one of the better breakfasts on trail: a giant fritatta, a basket of warm biscuits, home made jam, delicious fried potatoes with onions, and a bowl of fresh fruit. 

After breakfast, check out time was growing near, and I always despise this time. I hate ripping myself from a real bed and cherish every last second of time I have in the sheets. 

The owners of Alderbrook Manor Bed & Breakfast also run a "hostel" for hikers called "the Hiker Hut" in their backyard. It is amazing how they let hikers come and go as they please, use their pristine lawn and backyard for camping, and use the facilities, seeing as it is quite a nice place. The hospitality was un-matched. Thank you for everything Vicki and Dave!! 

In the morning we coasted downhill to the Post Office (and it was Saturday, so there was a small window of time we were allowed to pick up packages only) eager to pick up our packages. Let me just tell you. The best package of them all arrived today in Etna: the king of all packages sent by my loves Nichole, Josh, Mike and Sam! It was addressed to me, Ben and Angela, but unfortunately Angela is a few days behind so we would have to enjoy the package separately. We left it for her with her share of gifts and secrets in it for her amusement when she arrived. Thank you friends, it made me miss you so much!!!

Here is what we received: 

Compliments of Eva and Drew (I still carry this gem in my pocket).

I sprawled everything out on the bed and was in tears over it.

Ben taking a look.

Probably the best inventory sheet ever made. It's beautiful!

Thank you Nichole! These socks have gotten me over 500 miles and you sent them at the EXACT time of need. My other ones had just gotten a hole. 

Gone that very day.

Unfortunately we had to bounce these ahead because in California we wouldn't be caught dead with these due to recent fire restrictions. I could see it now, "intent to cause forest fire".

YUM.

Ben choosing which tats he wanted.

Stunned by how lovely this room is.





Hikers doing what we do best: sprawling out and making a mess of a place.
 Dave and Vicki let hikers stay in the Hiker Hut (only 4 beds) for a fee, but also allow camping on their well-manicured, luxurious lawn. This shocks me because it is so beautiful. We utilized the lawn to unpack and pack our bags, sort our foods and gifts, and clean everything. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon. Definitely the best sorting zone I've ever had to do my business, usually it is a park bench or in a parking lot outside of a mini-mart.

We managed to tag along on a hitch back to Etna Summit that afternoon.  Dance Party and Focus had befriended a kind couple at a coffee shop in town (the owners actually) and they agreed to drive them back to the trail around 4:00pm. They had room for Ben, Manchurian and I so we took advantage of the opportunity for an easy hitch and got in on the plan.

I think hitching to Etna was our most difficult hitch yet. Maybe it really was the nearby fires? Was it the timing? We tried very hard to look friendly and lively but it was hard considering how cold, damp, windy, smoky, foggy it was at the highway yesterday. I'm sure things haven't changed. We were lucky to have snagged a ridge out of town.

Lovin' Bens hair.

No wonder thru-hikers are called "hiker trash"





Vicki came out and hung all of the towels to dry. They even let people shower! 

Hikers hangin'


Gettin' ready to head out

Waiting for our ride.
We were so good about only nero-ing in Etna, meaning: we didn't take an entire day off! We slept there, got our shopping and chores done, and got back out super quick!

The miles flew by this evening as we entered the Marble Mountains and were rejuvenated by our town stop. It was fun to hike alongside Focus and Dance Party and we leap-frogged all evening. The goal was to make it to the water source 10.5 miles from the highway, which we did with ease, but not before it officially got dark. I was glad to find camp by sundown, and pleased with our meadow-view camp spot, which I did not get a photo of, unfortunately.

left to right: Focus, Dance Party, Manchurian, me, Ben



Seeing the word "Klamath" made me excited! It meant we were almost home! That's an OREGON WORD!













Ben's home made lantern. 

No comments: