7.02.2013

DAY 63: MUIR PASS

Where we camped on the summer solstice.

miles: 21+

This was one of the absolute. hardest. days. for me. and also one of the best.

Summer Solstice.

I love the Solstice - longest day of the year. It is also "Hike Naked Day", so we witnessed many naked hikers this morning, until the mosquitos forced them to put their clothes back on.

Muir Pass is the most gorgeous pass of them all, especially the hike up (the loooooooong hike up).

I will keep this post limited to photos as well, since they portray the grandeur much better than my tired words.

My body was literally shutting down near the end of this day. Feeling emotionally drained, mentally exhausted and physically BEATEN, I was near tears for the last few miles. Tears that were both tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed by the beauty, to be honest.

Getting to the top was one of the most emotionally charged, accomplished, celebrated events for us. We rejoiced and embraced!


MOSQUITO HELL IN THE MORNING.

My headnet. Try eating in a headnet.



These rocks.



Descending into this valley before climbing 7 miles up to the top of Muir Pass.



Marmot Poops?



Indian Paintbrush.









Sour Cream, at it again.


Cat Ears.














and the climbing begins.






















Got pretty snowy.




Sunset up over the hill.












Muir Hut!


Muir Hut!



Muir Hut.





Wanda Lake - our camp for the night.

TEAM.


WE DID IT!


6 comments:

kc jones said...

Wow. Just looking at these photos on my tiny phone makes me cry at the beauty and for your great adventure. Thank u so much for sharing. I.'m Angie's aunt Kathy's friend Karen. Husband mike's been following all along.

Nichole Alvarado said...

Oh... my god. These photos are INCREDIBLE. I cannot even believe!

bayrider said...

Really wonderful photos, many thanks for working so hard at it and sharing with the desk bound!

olenkattack said...

muir hut muir hut muir hut.

also picture #1 cries out to be made into a gigantic painting... to be displayed in future muir hut that you live in

Anonymous said...

so unbelievably beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for all of the wonderful comments! Seriously, you have no idea how much it means to me. It keeps me going!