7.17.2013

DAY 78: VOLCANIC HEAVENS

me, Rocky, Smiles, and Dr. Slosh with their good friends at Noble Lake
miles: 20

Team Rocky, T-Rex, King Street and Pepperflake today. Roaming the volcanic woods in bliss.

Great day of hiking. Nothing too crazy to report but I will make a quick list, followed by PHOTOS!

- Smiles and Dr. Slosh have about 8 friends out hiking with them from home and they are ahead of us, but going only 10 miles a day, so we caught up with them today and it was a blast meeting everyone and having lunch at Noble Lake.
- Trail Magic, AGAIN! When we reached highway 4 (Ebbetts Pass) we were ecstatic to find a sign pointing us in the direction of the most comprehensive trail magic we've received: cold Sierra Nevada beer (in cans!), a bowl of kettle chips, a bowl of kettle corn, hamburgers, veggie burgers, AVOCADO, pop, seconds on beer and pop, fruit plate to our hearts desire, and brownies/candy/sweets! WHOAHHHHH!
- The most amazing landscape. I'm in love with this area.
- Great company. Ben and I love hiking with King Street and Pepperflake.
- Trail magic gave me the boost I needed to fly through the next 5 miles gleefully.
- It's amazing how much a good buzz helps you hike.
- So many day hikers today, but it was fun seeing so many people enjoying the outdoors!
- THE TRAIL MAGIC!
- I spent a good hour getting through the last mile because it was so majestic. 

Note: A little bit about King Street and Pepperflake - I don't believe I've introduced them! King Street is a 23 year old from L.A., graduated from college recently, looking to move to Portland after the trail, cool guy. Pepperflake is a 22 year old from Auburn, CA, has hiked the JMT TWICE, and has a ton of backpacking experience, is fun to hike with and recently got back from a fishing gig in Alaska. We make a good team.

Anyways... We had a really fun day, blah blah blah here are some photos, the best part!

gorgeous.

Add caption


Dr. Slosh running towards the lake.




OH. YEAH.

Ben, in heaven.




The scene.

So so so sosososoososososososos OMG.













6 comments:

Jerry said...

Just started following your blog!
You have the best photos! Good luck and keep on trucking

wanna be a pct hiker :)

Jeff said...

I remember hiking through the volcanic area in 1998. Great photos!

Unknown said...

Jerry & Jeff: Thanks! I am glad you are enjoying the photos!

Unknown said...

T-Rex and Rocky! It was great to meet you guys at Donner Pass. How is the ankle healing up? As you can guess, I found your blog, and VERY COOL, I really like the photography! Please keep it up!
Have an awesome rest of your hike,
Reno Dave
oh, and PepperFlake passed through Donner Pass on Sunday afternoon.

Aileen Portia said...

Hello Thyra! It's Aileen
I've just mailed your package to Chester, care of the Cedar Lodge! Hope you get this and I absolutely love your blog! You guys are inspirational.

Cheers
AP

Unknown said...

Reno Dave:

Great meeting you at Donner Pass! Thanks again for the cold beer, pop AND the bag of ice for my ankle - that really made a difference. The ankle is almost completely healed up at this point, I wound up skipping the section between Truckee and Sierra City in order to rest and take care of it. I think it helped immensely! Glad you found my blog!

Aileen:

Thank you SOO so so sosososo much for the great little package. I seriously ripped into that cookie like nobody's business. Ben is saving his for dessert tonight. YUM. Glad you are following along, I miss Portland a ton! See you in the fall!