7.16.2013

DAY 77: GRANITE TO VOLCANIC

Returned to the trail magic provided by "the Owl"
 miles: 18 or so

In the morning we packed up real quick, ready to get hiking again and headed for the road. One of the first cars to come by in the morning picked us up: a sweet couple coming up to Sonora Pass for a day hike! How perfect! Pepperflake, Rocky and I in the backseat, we were relieved to have gotten a ride so quickly considering it was the day after the holiday... we feared there would be little traffic.

We've had amazing luck with our hitches. Everyone has been so sweet!

Hi mom!
 Arrived back where we left off to find the Owl still set up. We ate some fruit, took photos with the 1,000 mile sign and were on our way rather quickly. I wanted to get up and over the first "pass" early on in the day, semi-traumatized by the previous days thunderstorms. I will be avoiding afternoon climbs from now on.

Coffee time with the Owl.
 The Owl had quite the set-up!

Revenge dart board.

Rocky.

The volcanic stuff really gets me going.
 The granite of Yosemite and the High Sierras has morphed into craggy, volcanic material and I could not be more mesmerized. For some, odd, reason, I am even more enchanted by this landscape than I was by the high granite peaks of Kings Canyon. Am I crazy? I love the mysterious, often eerie, ancient-seeming quality of this place. It seems mystical, like there are legends that go with the peaks and canyons.

Favorite Wilderness.
 It has cooled down quite a bit and we are grateful for the lower temperatures.

Wildflowers.

Check out the volcanic rock!



At the end of the day, a few miles from where we were planning on camping, we reached some unexpected trail magic! Two people who had hiked in 2009 had backpacked in a bunch of Coors and were handing out beers! YES! How awesome is that? And in the mornings, if you come across them, they serve fresh coffee...

Trail magic in the middle of the trail! almost 20 miles in and we find these two!

Enjoying our Coors: Rocky, me, King Street, Pepperflake.

Campsite for the night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these great pictures ...

Good luck on your journey,

The Owl

Jaunting Jan said...

I'm interested in your hat/visor. Did you revise a hat or purchase it topless? I'm looking for something similar as I get too hot in hats but need the shade of something more than a typical visor.

BTW, enjoying your experience! You are getting near my neck of the woods and look forward to possibly being a provider of some magic.

Unknown said...

The Owl: Glad you found my blog! Thank you again for the BEST trail magic! It couldn't have come at a better time (rainy/thunderstorm)!

Jan M: I revised an existing hat (a hat I found in a hiker box in Big Bear) so that there would be a hole in the top for my ponytail/bun. I also don't like how hot my head gets in hats so it is great for ventilation purposes as well. It isn't the most attractive thing in the world, but it is functional and I love it!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I just found you blog from a link on FB. Fabulous! I am planning my trip on the PCT within the next few years (need to get the kids off to college first). I would love to meet with you when you return and hear your stories! I'm just west of Portland. I'm looking forward to reading more on your blog.
Cheers!!

Unknown said...

Marciglenn: Thanks for following along! I would love to meet up after I return from the trail and chat trail chat! We'll be in touch!