7.14.2013

DAY 75: A SERIES OF THUNDERSTORMS

Looks a lot like the Wallowas in North Eastern Oregon to me.
 miles: 18

King Street, Rocky and I were eager to reach the highway at Sonora Pass (Hwy 108) so we quickly packed our things and headed out rather early. Earlier than the rest. We were also anxious to leave the mosquito haven that was the river bed we were staying in.

The landscape revealed itself and it became clear we were in for a dramatic change. The land opened up and became unfamiliar territory - a giant expanse of meadows, rock fields, and snow capped peaks surrounding us. It reminded me a lot of the Wallowas. I was in heaven. Guidebooks describe this section as, "a place you do not want to be during a thunderstorm" and I was only slightly worried about the threat of afternoon thunderstorms. The sky looked promising - bright blue! Not a cloud in the sky until about 10:00am....

Everything changed!

Another planet?

Favorite day.



 

This really is NOT a place you want to be during a thunder and lightning episode. I was thankful we were busting out the miles early just in case....


Pre-thunderstorm.

Clouds building ever so slightly in the background...

There....was a lot of snow. "A lot".

Can you spot the caves!?





 At some point in the early afternoon, thunder clouds were definitely forming, forcing me to practically run down the mountain passes. I did not take my pack of the entire 18  miles, I did not have a meal, I did not stop. I had a gut feeling that things were going to take a turn for the worse and wanted to make sure I was near the safety of trees (at LEAST SHRUBS) if the storm were to catch us.

It caught us, barely. We were 2 miles from the highway (and still pretty exposed) by the time the first round of blasting thunder came through. The crackle, the terrifying crackle of thunder above when you are on an exposed ridge. Bone rattling.

Ben and I picked up our pace and sped down towards Sonora Pass as fast as we could, the rain becoming heavier.

We were lucky. The only thing I that crossed my mind was, "Where are Smiles and Slosh?" "Where are Toots and Tears??"... fearing for their safety.

When we arrived at Sonora Pass trail magic was waiting for us, a man named "the Owl" was set up there with a chocolate cake, cookies, Sierra Nevada beer, and soda. He even had an official 1,000 mile marker sign! The rain turned to hail and we hovered under trees and waited for it to let up along with a few other hikers.

"What next? Do we just head down to the highway and hitch?" Yeah. That's what we did. Along with Bird Dog.

Only five cars passed us before we got a hitch. A friendly cowboy type in the fanciest, largest truck I have ever been in. He was pleasant and we told him a little bit about the trail, and before we knew it we were being dumped off at the entrance to the Kennedy Meadows Resort Road. Just a one mile walk from here. When we opened the car doors it was about 30 degrees warmer than it had been up at the pass, and we thought it was hot up there! The thunderstorm was just gaining ground as we steadily made our way up the windy 1-mile road past giant campgrounds full to the brim with 4th of July goers. It's a busy time to be here, I thought.

The lightning was beginning to worry me and I picked up my pace. We made it to the porch of the resort and I immediately went in to inquire about lodging for the night. "Cross your fingers."

They had exactly 3 beds available upstairs, above the dining room and general store in a dorm-style room.

"Let me check with the other 2 people in that room to make sure it's okay we put you three in there..."

Luckily - it was two other hikers! So we bunked with them and were surprised to find the room clean, cozy and warm. A definite respite from the rain and mosquitos, just what we were looking for.

We plunked our stuff down on our respective twin beds and went downstairs to raid the hiker box, which was by far, the best hiker box we had encountered yet. Apparently some folks had to get off of the trail and donated all of their resupply boxes full of food to the store: 50 Snickers, 50 Pop Tarts, a giant bucket full of healthy dehydrated food. The three of us (Rocky, Bird Dog and I) were able to completely resupply from these boxes! JACKPOT!

Dinner was next and I was in heaven holding my beer in the warmth of the dining room, with fellow hikers. Thankful to be dry, warm, and sheltered from the raging (I seriously mean raging, dangerous) thunderstorm that persisted outside. Lightning lit up the room. We. are. so. lucky.

Kennedy Meadows Resort provides hikers a free shower (if they are staying the night) and laundry and towel. It was amazing. Quite possibly the best (most interesting?) shower I've ever had... There was a window in the stall that opened to the sky and allowed me to watch the thunderstorm. Quite frightening, and exhilarating, really. I felt so safe. And thankful. Thankful and safe and sound.


Kennedy Meadows Resort lobby.

So cute.

Our cozy dorm room for the night. Pine wood pine wood pine wood everywhere.

No comments: