7.27.2013

DAY 85: ANOTHER ZERO.... GETTIN' SOFT

Dr. Slosh, Chik-Chak, Starfox, Rocky and myself running around like mad getting things done.
miles: 0

July 13th.

Another, unexpected, zero day... and I am getting antsy to get back on the trail. Don't get me wrong, I love a zero day, and most likely will always take one if it is offered/available/on the table. It has now been 5 full days since we have hiked... yikes! I worry about my body and if we are getting out of shape or not. I worry about getting behind in terms of the schedule we made out for ourselves and if these extra days in Tahoe will come back to bite us in the butt come October when we are finishing the trail in the rain and snow.

I want to avoid finishing in the rain and/or snow. Being wet and cold is what will break me, I think. Actually, I'm pretty sure that is the only thing that could POTENTIALLY take me off the trail (other than an injury). So we are going to do our best to step it up and pick up the pace in order to stay ahead of the wildfires and ahead of the snow in the north cascades.

The only limiting factor to completing a thru-hike is the snow up north - you never know when it will begin. It could be snow/rain free until the first or even second week of October, but you never know! It might start raining mid-September, in which case, I will be struggling to finish. I've heard of people quitting only a week or so from the end simply because they were perpetually wet. And cold. This could be me.

So... I've been dwelling on this thought (which I know, I shouldn't) but I can't help it. I am itching to get back out to trail but want so badly to hike with the Wolf Pack! It would be so fun to all be together again. We're waiting for Starfox to get into South Lake Tahoe today so that we can roll out tomorrow morning (early-ish I hope). The goal is to camp somewhere in Desolation Wilderness tomorrow night. I wonder if we will be sore? Will our feet hurt all over again, just like they did week one!?

Starfox arrives! We are all reunited! We hang around, do some chores, and do the fun dinner thing again. Last night we had nachos for dinner, tonight we do a hodge podge of whatever, some spaghetti, some snacks, and I find myself eating my go-to pint of ice cream... again.  I love devouring a pint of Ben and Jerry's every time I am in town. 

Oh yes.

Yes, we're doing alright back here.

Lake Tahoe.

A very appetizing spaghetti dinner.